Sunday, July 1, 2012
All the magic I need is right at home...
So you’ve probably heard about that movie, Magic Mike.
I'm not going to argue with anyone about it because that's just not my style. The movie isn't worth the effort spent on an argument. However, I do want to talk about it in light of marriage. A subject I haven't talked about at all on this blog.
Every Friday on KSBJ, they have movie reviews from Focus on the Family's Plugged in Movie Review. As the day drew closer for the movie to open, I checked out their website to see what they had to say. The reviewer for Magic Mike wrote in the sexual content section: "...it's difficult, if not impossible to describe the pornographic nature of these scenes without sounding, well, pornographic. To detail every pawing grab at a leather g-string, every mimicked sexual act and every naked male backside we see would take pages." He goes on to say the story line is pretty weak because the main theme of the movie is to demonstrate the gratification of lust. Not to mention the 100+ "f" bombs, "s" words and numerous times God and Jesus' names were used in vain. How is that entertaining? It makes my heart hurt that people will make money from this.
I could go and see it without asking my husband's permission but I love him and only him. I want him and only him. I need him and only him. If me going to see the movie would dishonor him - I'm not going.
So instead of spending our hard earned money on movies that hurt our relationship, I'd rather spend it on a mini-vacation with MY "magic mike". I want to strength my marriage and break it down.
I love the way he walks into the kitchen bleary eyed in the morning with his hair sticking out in all directions. I love the way our kids laugh when he plays with them or listening to him read Dr. Seuss over and over again because they love it. I love to see his name pop up on my caller-id, and his goofy sense of humor. I love the way he works hard and provides for our family. I love that he thinks I'm still pretty cute. I love how he looks at me and talks to me and holds me close when I need it.
Those guys in the movie? They offer us nothing of value.
To sum it all up: wives love your husbands, and husbands, be your wife's dream guy. Apparently by the response to the movie, many wives, sisters, mothers, etc. are looking for a dream guy and if you as husbands or men don't step it up, then they'll have to find "him" in a book or movie.
It’s your choice as to what movies you watch, and how you spend your time and money. But if you’re married, please consider investing in each other, rather than something that’s not real and offers you nothing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
My thoughts exactly. Great blog.
Post a Comment