I remember, quite vividly, passing a homeless man who was standing on the side of the road holding a sign asking for help. I remember welling up with tears and thinking, 'he reminds me of Papaw.' My grandfather had just passed away a few weeks earlier. The tears are flowing now as I write.
I wanted so bad to help this man but I rarely carry cash, am usually on
the wrong side of the road or have screaming babies in the car. God laid a burden on my heart that I needed to help.
Then a few weeks ago in Sunday School, our lesson was centered around Matthew 25: 34-40..."Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father...For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'"
It was then and there that I
decided to always be prepared with something when I meet another
unfortunate soul. Has this ever happened to you? You see
them and know they are in need, but you aren't sure what to do. Handing
them money is not always the best
thing, but you can see that they clearly have some needs. Thirsty? Chapped lips? They need help.
I began to scour the internet and thanks to Pinterest and my couponing, I've come up with a list of items to include in my 'Blessings Bag'. I'm still working on gathering up the materials but once I have them finished there will be more pics.
Here's what I will fill:
Gallon size plastic storage bags
(I'm going to use the ones with the zip top because it's easier to open/close)
Items for the bag:
comb
chap stick
band aids
wet wipes
socks
bar soap
deodorant
gum/mints
granola bars
travel size lotion
travel pack of tissues
small notepad and pen
peanut butter crackers
toothbrush and toothpaste
note of encouragement
small 8oz. bottles of water
a few dollars in coins (could be used to purchase a food item)
small Bible/tract (talk to someone at your church about these)
This list is only a guide not a list requirements. Think of items that you would need if you were in their shoes. Also remember not to include items that would melt, such as chocolate.
Once you have everything assembled, line the items around a table and walk around filling the bags. This would a great way to teach your kids about helping others, or as a project to do with other families. Each family could bring a few items and combine to help create a lot of Blessings Bags. Store a few bags in your car so you're prepared to help in a time of need.
No comments:
Post a Comment